Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky

Public Protection Cabinet

Financial Institutions Complaint

The Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) regulates state-chartered banks, state-chartered credit unions,  securities offerings, securities individuals and entities, money transmitters, check cashers/payday lenders, mortgage lenders and loan officers, and some other consumer/industrial lenders. To file a complaint against an entity, individual, or offering regulated by DFI, you may now do so via our online complaint process. Please note, pursuant to Kentucky's open records laws, any information you provide may be subject to public disclosure upon termination of a formal investigation, or immediately, if no formal investigation is initiated.
Submitting a Paper Complaint Form
If you are unable to complete the electronic complaint submission process, you may fill out the form below. This form is in Microsoft Word format and can be filled out by downloading and typing in the document, or by printing the form and filling it out by hand. Submit the form by email, mail or by fax at 502-573-8787.

If you need a format other than Microsoft Word, or if you need a printed copy mailed to you, contact the DFI.
Department of Financial Institutions
Attention: Complaint Submission
500 Mero Street 2SW19
Frankfort, KY 40601
502-573-3390 or 800-223-2579
Depending on the circumstances surrounding your complaint, the DFI may initiate an investigation. If an investigation uncovers facts that indicate a violation of our statutes has occurred, the DFI may pursue administrative remedies against the violating party and/or refer the matter to criminal authorities.
Who to Contact Regarding a Complaint Not Regulated by DFI
In most cases, DFI does not regulate banks or credit unions with a name that includes the word "federal" or "national." In addition, DFI does not regulate credit card companies or auto loans. Names of entities that we regulate can be found on our search page.  
  • Commercial banks with the word "national" or using the title "N.A." (national association), are organized under and subject to federal law. Savings banks and savings and loan associations with the word "federal" in their name or that use the initials FSB (federal savings bank), FSA (federal savings association), FA (federal association) or FSLA (federal savings and loan association) also are under federal regulation. Requests for information or complaints concerning these national banks and federal savings associations should be directed to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), (telephone) 800-613-6743, OCC, Customer Assistance, 1301 McKinney St., Suite 3450, Houston, TX, 77010-9050.
  • Federally regulated credit unions are similarly identified by the word "federal" in their name. Inquiries and complaints concerning federal credit unions should be directed to the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), (telephone) 800-755-1030, Office of Consumer Protection, Division of Consumer Compliance & Outreach, 1775 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22314; (fax) 703-518-6682; email
  • If the complaint relates to a mortgage loan that is secured by a property outside of Kentucky, you should contact that state's financial institution authority. You can find state regulators using NMLS


It is important to remember DFI does not act as the complainant's attorney. DFI also does not have the power to arbitrate complaints. If the dispute turns on facts that do not involve a supervised entity’s violation of a specific law or regulation (such as a matter concerning a financial institution’s exercise of internal policies or guidelines) DFI may not have the authority to obtain the relief a complainant is seeking. In that case, DFI will advise the complainant about other ways to pursue the complaint, such as through consulting a private attorney and/or initiating a court proceeding.