All mortgage entities and mortgage loan originators must use the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System & Registry
(NMLS) for licensing and registration. Exempt companies do not have to use NMLS; however, the individuals working for exempt companies must use NMLS. Operational assistance is available through a national call center at 855-NMLS-123 (855-665-7123). The Kentucky Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) has been a part of the NMLS since its launch in 2008.
In 2016, Senate Bill 97 eliminated the requirement for employee loan processors to register with DFI. However, non-W2 (contract) loan processors will need to continue the previously established registration process.
Pre-licensing education is not required for employee mortgage loan processors. Continuing education is eight hours annually. The processor's eight hours of continuing education will not be reported through NMLS; instead the employing company must maintain proof that their processors have received the eight hours.
The continuing education requirement is eight hours annually for loan originators, and is reported through NMLS.
For employee loan processors, the supervising mortgage company or broker is responsible for:
1) Ensuring the continuing education requirements are satisfied, and
2) Performing a background check and credit check prior to hiring an employee that will be a mortgage loan processor.
Administrative regulation 808 KAR 12:055
establishes uniform standards for mortgage loan processor employee background and credit checks.
Mortgage Broker and Company Licenses
Mortgage bankers, servicers and brokers are licensed to make, purchase, buy, sell, service and broker Kentucky residential mortgages. If an out-of-state branch is doing Kentucky business, it must be licensed with DFI.
How to License a New Mortgage Broker/Company:
The full licensing fee is $750 for the principal office and $400 for each branch office. Also there is an NMLS processing fee of $100 per principal office and $20 per branch.
How to Renew a Mortgage Broker/Company License:
- Read KRS 286.8.
- Submit renewal online via NMLS.
- Submit the Annual Mortgage Activity Report.
The license renewal period is on a calendar-year basis. All entities must renew by Nov. 30 each year. The renewal fee is $350 for the principal office and $250 for each branch office. Also there is an NMLS processing fee of $100 per principal office and $20 per branch. If licenses are not renewed before the expiration, there will be a 30-day reinstatement period, for which a $250 fee will be charged.
For more information, contact Anthony Mullins
or call 502-782-9036 or Pam Fitzgerald
or call 502-782-9042 with questions regarding mortgage broker and company licenses, as well as companies filing a claim of exemption.
Companies Filing a Claim of Exemption (HUD and Nonprofit)
Mortgage bankers, servicers and brokers approved by HUD shall register their exemption. Exemptions
will expire annually on Dec. 31 and must be renewed prior to that date. For more information, read KRS 286.8
HUD-exempt entities (mortgage lenders, brokers and branches) must report annually the number of FHA-insured mortgage loans that were originated on Kentucky properties during the preceding calendar year. For more information, read DFI's HUD-Exempt Entities Compliance Procedures for Changes to KRS 286.8 on the Orders of the Commissioner
NOTE: Entities that have previously surrendered a HUD exemption or have had a HUD exemption revoked for failure to meet the 12 FHA-insured loan requirement set forth in KRS 286.8-020(4) are not eligible to reapply for another HUD exemption unless certain conditions are met. An entity must become licensed and fund or broker a minimum of 12 FHA-insured loans originated on Kentucky properties in a single calendar year in order to reacquire a HUD exemption once it is surrendered or revoked. In addition to brokering 12 FHA-insured loans, the entity also must have been approved by HUD for five years or have held a license for five consecutive years.
Pursuant to Senate Bill 97 (2016 Kentucky Acts Ch. 129), which became law in July 2016, mortgage loan processors are no longer required to be registered with DFI. However, certain due diligence must be conducted by the employing entity prior to hiring a mortgage loan processor, pursuant to KRS 286.8-255(9)
and 808 KAR 12:055
Mortgage Originator Registrations
All loan originators (loan officers) of licensed entities and HUD-approved mortgage companies and/or mortgage brokers are required to be registered. Out-of-state loan officers and brokers assisting Kentucky clients must be registered with DFI.
NOTE: Individuals working for nonprofit entities may be exempt from registration. For more information, read the orders of the commissioner
dated Jan. 5, 2012, and Aug. 1, 2011.
How to Register a New Loan Officer/Originator:
- Read KRS 286.8.
- Submit an electronic background check through NMLS.
- Complete 20 hours of pre-licensing education.
- Pass the national test component with uniform state content.
- Submit the application form online via NMLS.
- Consent to a credit report through NMLS. For more details, read 808 KAR 12:021. Applicants who have a credit score of 600 or better meet the financial responsibility requirement.
- All mortgage loan originators must be covered by a surety bond, either through their employer or independently, for their entire registration period. The bond cannot be terminated without 30 days prior written notice to DFI. Mortgage loan originators with an annual loan volume of less than $10 million must have a $15,000 surety bond. Those with an annual loan volume of greater than $10 million must have a $20,000 surety bond. For more information, read the order of the commissioner dated Dec. 18, 2009.
The registration fee is $50. Also there is an NMLS processing fee of $30. You will receive an email from NMLS upon approval of your registration. Registration status is available online.
How to Renew a Loan Officer/Originator Registration:
- Read KRS 286.8.
- Complete 8 hours of continuing education during the calendar year. One of those 8 hours must be Kentucky-specific.
- Submit renewal online via NMLS.
- Submit the Annual Mortgage Activity Report if using an individual bond rather than an entity bond.
- Originators also must submit a background check to NMLS and consent to a credit report through NMLS, pursuant to Senate Bill 97 (2016 Kentucky Acts Ch. 129).
The registration renewal period is on a calendar-year basis. All individuals must renew by Nov. 30
each year. The renewal fee is $50. Also there is an NMLS processing fee of $30. If registrations are not renewed before the expiration, there will be a 30-day reinstatement period, for which a $250 fee will be charged. You will receive an email from NMLS upon approval of your registration. The status of renewals is available online
For more information, contact Jessica Sullivan
or call 502-782-9095 or Pam Fitzgerald
or call 502-782-9042 with questions regarding mortgage individual registrations.
The examination process for mortgage loan brokers and companies licensed in Kentucky has been enhanced. A document [PDF 89KB] to highlight these changes was sent via email to the NMLS contact provided for all licensed entities on April 1, 2011. For more information, email mortgage examination branch manager Angie Atwell or call 502-782-1244.